10 January 2013

Purging Pre-loved Clothes A Dilemma For Me

One of my goals for the year 2013 is to purge my closet to make room for new clothes. The problem I encounter when doing that is, I have a really hard time letting go of many tops and pants. I don't really buy clothes. Most of them were given by my mom. Sentimental me cannot seem to give them up, although I have not worn them for more than a year. Should I imagine that we're changing addresses and that the moving company might charge me more if all of our stuff couldn't fit into just one truck?

This supposedly simple activity is kind of giving me a headache. So, I have home clothes that are too ratty to be given to others. Then, I have going out clothes that I can't bear to part with that I am thinking of converting into home clothes. There are nice clothes that I like but cannot fit me anymore but I cannot give away because:
  • They are gifts from loved ones.
  • They could be altered.
  • I could buy a pair of shorts or a skirt that would hide the tops' being too fit around the tummy area. I am eyeing a high-waisted one, what do you think?

I also have nice clothes that I'm hoping to sell on eBay, but the measuring and describing parts turn me off. Plus, the things I should do just to sell one item makes this idea a bit daunting.

I know I should have sold them at a bazaar, yet I think the pieces are insufficient for a bazaar type of selling, not to mention a garage sale. Also the security of the home during a garage sale seems compromised. What shall I do?

Such a dilemma, right? I feel so torn right now. I once read that one needs to be ruthless when it comes to removing clutter.

some tops I'm thinking of selling

18 comments:

  1. Last night, I saw on ANC a young girl selling in a garage sale in their subdivision and she was successful with it, but the one's who would come are the household helps so the price is placed down to P50 to a hundred. If the clothes are more expensive or unused then she still tried the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. been through the same dilemma. i just participated in a flea market and sold all my clothes. after that i feel so relieved as I had a big space in my closet now aside from the fact i gained some money after. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest a simple garage sale. Create flyers and signs. Invite friends on facebook. Ask for help too. Do not open your home to strangers. Sa garage lang kayo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup Sis! garage sale is a good idea also but just try to invite close friends and neighbors. I actually thought of doing the same coz we have lots of stuff in the house that's never been used. Decluttering is one good way of attracting positive energy sa house but I think you just keep some pieces that you loved most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @kat That's a nice idea!
      @Krizza I hope to get friends who are not maarte with using pre-loved clothes. Hehe! I think I want to keep the first shirt that my hubby gave me, even though it won't fit me anymore.

      Delete
  5. I feel for you sis. I have clothes which I believe doesn't look good on me. I can't sell them easily here in UAE. And I'm not sure when we will go to Philippines to have some donate to the a group that I'm helping at. But what I usually do with this situation, I make myself fit on it hahaha! memorable rin nga kasi yung iba. But I totally agree with Krizza, de-cluttering or let's say cleaning up is a good way. New clothes, hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have some clothes that are memorable too, kahit di na kasya!

      Delete
  6. Yes sis, you can sell these at Ebay. I for myself is an eBayer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you measure all of your merchandise? Or does saying the size suffice?

      Delete
  7. I tried selling baby used clothes using multiply and FB and I did sold a lot. Though I have not tried selling my old clothes yet feeling ko walang bibili kc hindi branded hehehe.. So ayun napupunta lahat sa pamangkin ko.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha... made me laugh when i encountered your post... hehehe im also in that stage now... was supposed to declutter my cabinet during the new year weekend... but 2wks after i haven't even started with anything... hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can host a garage sale or make an online store.. the tops looks great.. anong size mo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have size M to size L. Baka ngayon XL na ako. Huhu!

      Delete
  10. Both the boyfriend and I need to purge our closet too. It's too full of clothes that don't fit anymore. Nasasayang din sila because there are others who would love to have them. Good luck to all of us. Tell us what you eventually do with them ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thinking of it too.. kahit maliit lng yung mga clothes na for sale ko, i think mas ok ang online selling..

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to say what you think. Do drop by again! Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin