18 January 2013

Missing Binondo

I attended a Christian Chinese school in Manila since Kindergarten, although I resided in Quezon City before. After school, I would spend my time in my late maternal grandpa's house and printing press near Binondo. I remember that across his office was an appliance store and we would look at the kitchen appliances there. My mom loves to cook and bake. If we have any broken ones, we would search for electrolux spare parts there, which would be perfect to makes the appliances like new again. 

via http://www.viakeo.com/Manila/sights/Chinatown-1937
My mom and I would walk along Benavidez, Salazar and Ongpin streets to buy fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and food for the home from Shopper's Mart. We would also spend snack-time in the restaurants there or in coffee shops in Binondo. I also used to spend time with my cousins there and we would sometimes eat sweet treats in a cake shop on the street behind our grandpa's place, after school. I looked forward to Saturdays when my other cousins who lived in Mandaluyong would also come over and we would play. I used to go there on Saturdays because of my extracurricular activities like scouting. Our grandpa really loved having us over. We also used to enjoy eating fresh Chinese lumpia together. We would sit crowded around his dining table and make our own lumpia. We would put together the ingredients by ourselves. It was a wonderful experience!

Less and less time was spent in Binondo when I entered college, started working, got married and had children. I would go there mostly to visit my dear grandfather. He was all smiles when my hubby Rix and I brought our eldest, Elle, to see him.

When I would catch a glimpse of Binondo when passing by the area for some reason, memories would flood into my mind. There had been a lot of changes since I set foot there. I wish to bring my children there when they are older, and let them experience the sights, sounds and smell of Ongpin, Binondo, even if there are bits of dried horse manure being carried by the wind because of all the calesa's there. Haha! :-)

20 comments:

  1. now that I don't live in downtown Manila, i somehow miss it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article I love reading it as if Ive been here

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. China town reminds me of good food! I love to experience that again for a food adventure trip and to awaken my senses! The last time I was there was many years ago when I could still walk, lol. But I hope parking will not be a problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the streets would be a bit harder to navigate. I hope you could experience it, though, it's a whole different culture altogether.

      Delete
  5. My mom enjoys going to Binondo because of the cheap finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever we go down to Manila with my friends (I am in Baguio, we always try to go to Binondo. the food is good and so many stuff to buy too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Binondo. I'm just familiar with the place because of the tv show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Binondo is somewhere near Divisoria right? I think I've been there before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a bit near Divisoria, walking distance. :-)

      Delete
  9. Binondo is a notable place, i like the restaurants out there

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say that Binondo is one the most interesting places in the country. I had a walking and eating tour there once and I totally enjoyed it! And it will come alive again this February for the Chinese New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it'll be very festive come Chinese New Year!

      Delete
  11. I have lots of good memories in Binondo. My cousin works in Downtown Quintin paredes so I frequented the place. After her work, we'd walk the distane from there to Divisoria while munching on squid balls and gulaman. I miss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is always a Chinatown in almost all places and they always have character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do! Such a melting pot of various cultures.

      Delete
  13. I hope you can go back, and then post photos and stories about Binondo. I think it's a fascinating place. I'd love to just go and walk and take photos and discover the area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The home of the delicious hopias! :)
    I love Binondo, and everything they offer.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to say what you think. Do drop by again! Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin