31 May 2010

Do you believe in jinxes?


A jinx, in popular superstition and folklore, is:
  • A type of curse placed on a person that makes them prey to many minor misfortunes and other forms of bad luck;
  • A person afflicted with a similar curse, who, while not directly subject to a series of misfortunes, seems to attract them to anyone in his vicinity.
  • An object that brings bad luck.
  • A common slang term used when two people say the same thing at the same time, said as a game among the young.
The superstition can also be referenced when talking about a future event with too much confidence. A statement such as "We're sure to win the contest!" can be seen as a jinx because it tempts fate, thereby bringing bad luck. The event itself is referred to as "jinxed". The most dramatic historical example of this type of jinxing is the RMS Titanic which was said to be unsinkable, then sunk on its maiden voyage.
In a similar way, calling attention to good fortune – e.g. noting that a certain athlete is having a streak of particularly good fortune – is thought to "jinx" it. If the good fortune ends immediately afterward, the jinx is then blamed for the turn of events, if only jokingly.

When I am ecstatic about something good that is about to happen, I cannot wait to burst and spill the news to someone. But at the same time, I want to keep the details to myself, afraid to "jinx" it. Yes, I believe in jinxes, sometimes, that when I talk about it, somehow I feel it wouldn't happen anymore. I really don't know why, but I do. Like right now, I want to tell the world something, but I want it to be the official announcement when I do... Weird huh?

I just want to say that I am thankful to God for answering my prayer in a unique way, it's something I dreamed of doing many, many years ago. I continue to pray that it really pushes through. It is something I am passionate about, although it doesn't really show. Heehee!

5 comments:

  1. I guess the Chinese do believe in these kinda things, although I myself have no say over whether it exists. But there's a Chinese sayings that literally means better to believe than not. =)

    And may God continues to answer your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for entering the Mommy Necklace giveaway. I always feel this way - like if something good is going to happen I try not to think about it working out (maybe I'll jinx it?)

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to say what you think. Do drop by again! Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin