15 March 2012

On Mining and Wisdom

With the negative impact of mining on the environment and on the livelihoods of the inhabitants near the mining site, it is not surprising that #NoToMining was trending on Twitter in the Philippines. I wonder how this issue will affect the mining stocks. I wonder what Tim Sykes, a trader, will say about that.


While reading the Bible, I stumbled upon a chapter in Job about mining and wisdom. The timing was perfect since the news and Twitter were abuzz with the issue on mining. I will paste all of it here so that we could all gather insights.


Job 28 (NIV) 
Interlude: Where Wisdom Is Found 
 1 There is a mine for silver 

   and a place where gold is refined. 

2 Iron is taken from the earth, 

   and copper is smelted from ore. 

3 Mortals put an end to the darkness; 
   they search out the farthest recesses 
   for ore in the blackest darkness. 
4 Far from human dwellings they cut a shaft, 
   in places untouched by human feet; 
   far from other people they dangle and sway. 

5 The earth, from which food comes, 

   is transformed below as by fire; 

6 lapis lazuli comes from its rocks, 

   and its dust contains nuggets of gold. 
7 No bird of prey knows that hidden path, 
   no falcon’s eye has seen it. 
8 Proud beasts do not set foot on it, 
   and no lion prowls there. 
9 People assault the flinty rock with their hands 
   and lay bare the roots of the mountains. 
10 They tunnel through the rock; 
   their eyes see all its treasures. 
11 They search[a] the sources of the rivers 
   and bring hidden things to light.
 12 But where can wisdom be found? 
   Where does understanding dwell? 
13 No mortal comprehends its worth; 
   it cannot be found in the land of the living. 
14 The deep says, “It is not in me”; 
   the sea says, “It is not with me.” 
15 It cannot be bought with the finest gold, 
   nor can its price be weighed out in silver. 
16 It cannot be bought with the gold of Ophir, 
   with precious onyx or lapis lazuli. 
17 Neither gold nor crystal can compare with it, 
   nor can it be had for jewels of gold. 
18 Coral and jasper are not worthy of mention; 
   the price of wisdom is beyond rubies. 
19 The topaz of Cush cannot compare with it; 
   it cannot be bought with pure gold.
 20 Where then does wisdom come from? 
   Where does understanding dwell? 
21 It is hidden from the eyes of every living thing, 
   concealed even from the birds in the sky. 
22 Destruction[b] and Death say, 
   “Only a rumor of it has reached our ears.” 
23 God understands the way to it 
   and he alone knows where it dwells, 
24 for he views the ends of the earth 
   and sees everything under the heavens. 
25 When he established the force of the wind 
   and measured out the waters, 
26 when he made a decree for the rain 
   and a path for the thunderstorm, 
27 then he looked at wisdom and appraised it; 
   he confirmed it and tested it. 
28 And he said to the human race, 
   “The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom, 
   and to shun evil is understanding.”
As a wife and mom, I always ask God to grant me wisdom and understanding. Running a household and raising wonderful little human beings do require a lot of wisdom. This wifely and motherly wisdom comes only from Him. How does this wisdom manifest? 

  • It's in the instinct I feel deep within me, which leads me to make right decisions.
  • It's the application of my knowledge to situations where it's needed.
  • It's saying the correct words at the perfect time when talking with my children.
This doesn't make me a perfect wife and mother. It is God's perfect way shining through my imperfections. My journey down this road of being a wife and mother is still very long and I have so much more to learn. After all, I've been a wife for just five years and a mommy for just four. I know I would need more of God's guidance when the children get older and more assertive. 

Blog Widget by LinkWithin