Wall to wall carpets are cozy and attractive, but they are also dirt collectors. Even if you vacuum regularly, the dirt and dust works its way down to the pad and can cause odors, stains and premature wear. You can prevent this with regular maintenance and professional service by Green Choice Carpet Cleaning NYC cleaning once a year. To avoid bringing toxic fumes into your home, it is recommended to use a company such as Green Choice Carpet that uses organic cleaning products.
Tips for Keeping Wall to Wall Carpet Clean
Once you have your carpet professionally cleaned, you want to keep it as clean as possible throughout the year. There are some simple things you can do that will help reduce the amount of dirt, dust and allergens that settle in your carpet.
• Vacuum the whole carpet every week and more often in high-traffic areas. It takes about five minutes for the vacuum cleaner to remove the optimum amount of dust and dirt, so you should go over each area several times.
• Use an attachment to vacuum around heavy furniture and move light-weight furniture to vacuum beneath it.
• The vacuum bag or canister should be emptied when it is half-full of dirt because if it is too full, you won’t get enough suction. There may be a full-line on the bag or canister.
• Use furniture leg coasters under the legs on heavy furniture. These will prevent deep, permanent dents from forming on the carpet and pad.
• Clean spills immediately if possible. The longer the spilled substance is on the carpet, the deeper it will go in and be harder to remove. Soak up as much of the substance by pressing it with an absorbent towel. Don't rub the spill because this will push it into the carpet. If there is any remaining stain, you can blot it with a solution of one cup water and one quarter cup mild detergent. Rinse the soap out with clear water and blot dry. When it is completely dry, vacuum the area.
• You can deodorize you carpet once a month by sprinkling baking soda on it in a thin layer and leaving it overnight. The next day vacuum it completely. Just as it does in your refrigerator, baking soda will absorb the pet and other odors in your carpet.
You can keep your wall to wall carpet looking and smelling fresh between its annual professional cleanings.