22 October 2008

What I won't do

There was a daddy who was working on his new, nice and shiny car. His little son came over to look. He picked up one of daddy's tools and without warning, scratched the side of this car. Daddy was sooooo mad he striked his son's hands. He then looked down to see a hammer in his hand.

In the hospital, the little boy looked up at his daddy and asked, "Will my fingers grow back?" Daddy was filled with shame and guilt.

While standing at the garage, daddy stepped back to survey the damage done by his little son. He gasped as he read the words "I love you, daddy".

Heartbreaking... isn't it?

With my own child, I promise not to:
  • Do something harsh (or say something demoralizing) in anger, which I will regret for the rest of my life
  • Compare her to other people's children, or even to her own sibling as she is unique and wonderful in her own special ways
  • Spank her just because her grades are low
  • Interrupt when she's speaking, even if her reasoning is a little on the wrong side
  • Ignore her material wants, there may be an emotional need behind them

How about you? What do you promise NOT to do?

2 comments:

  1. That is the part of myself that scares me: the easily angered, impatient side. My daughter is still very little, but I'm scared of when she gets a bit older and I lose my temper with her. Fortunately, I'm not really the type to spank or hit, but words can be just as damaging. I will really have to watch myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, this story breaks my heart.

    I think you've compiled a great list here. I know I struggle with getting angry and frustrated with my toddler at times. But reading this certainly puts things into perspective and is a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to say what you think. Do drop by again! Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin