26 October 2010

Familiar with Tummy Time?

I didn't know about Tummy Time until I read the book entitled Love, Charleston. According to one of the characters in the book, Tummy Time benefits the baby by promoting "trunk stability, limb coordination, and head control, all of which would aid the baby in turning over and crawling as he grew older." It also prevents positional plagiocephaly, also known as the flathead syndrome. I sure hope Tummy Time will help my baby Caleb as he is starting to develop this condition. I also massage his head gently and I place him on the crib on his non-flat side during nap times and bedtimes. I read a helpful article on Parenting.com called Baby Steps: Tummy Time Tips. There are also other related articles there. Often, Caleb would enjoy it while I put myself within his viewing range and cheer for him. There are times that it seems like a struggle for him and he'd cry. When I see that he's having quite a hard time, I stop it and try again next time.

Lifting his head during tummy time

3 comments:

  1. He is looking so gorgeous!!! I remember doing this with my babies, and then that cute little flop their heads would do when they tired and rested on their fat cheeks. Enjoy this wonderful season in your babies' lives.
    Blessings
    Dotti :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it was called Tummy Time, but I did something similar to G when she was little. I would rotate her sleeping position constantly so that she would not lay flat on one side of her head all the time. Flathead was something that I did not want from her! Hahaha! Thankfully now, she has a rounded head! ;)

    Baby Caleb is so cute, and I just want to bite his precious cheeks!

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to say what you think. Do drop by again! Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin