|Summer last year|
So far, we haven't done any of the activities mentioned above. We did take a walk in Bonifacio High Street one Sunday, but she didn't roll on the grass. Mostly, we have been cooped up at home, lessening the carbon footprint left by a car. Things we do at home include:
- Watching TV, but we're cutting down the hours by playing (with her little brother and Barbie dolls) and doing arts.
- She's expressing herself by scribbling and drawing caterpillars & cockroaches (ew!). We use the back portion of bond papers that have been printed on. At last, she is getting used to the idea.
- She takes baths in the tubby versus showering.
- She loves to eat mango-flavored ice cream. Yum!
- She also loves strawberry-flavored crackers or cookies. She throws the wrappers in the trash can without being told.
- Play Alter Space. OK, actually it's just me, but she watches me play and I explain to her what's going on in the game. One mini-game I find interesting is the Switch Chaser. I discuss with my little girl that we need to turn off appliances when not in use with this mini-game as a visual aid. Alter Space is the 1st Filipino environmental awareness game on Facebook. Special Agent OSO, a TV show on Playhouse Disney, has an episode where the little girl was taught to turn off lights, TV, running water, etc., when they are not in use. I am also instilling this, so most of the time, she turns off the TV and electric fan when we leave the living area or when going out. I'm proud of her!
- Believe me when I say it is hard to teach a three-year-old not to leave her toys and papers on the floor. I feel like a nagger when I have to tell her not to have her things strewn all over the place. As with other "responsibilities" a kid must learn, the instructions must be repeated over and over, again and again. That's how redundant it should be!
I hope these summer plans could push through, so we could get some fresh air once in a while and appreciate nature with my little ones. I believe that when my daughter sees how lovely the greens of a picturesque view are, she will be conscious about preserving them.