28 May 2011

Borrowing or Lending?


Polonius:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.


Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 75–77

I don't know how my parents did it, but I was raised to "neither a borrower nor a lender be." As much as possible, I didn't want to borrow money. And, lending money makes things awkward between friends as it would be hard to ask them to return it when the time comes. 

Except for credit cards, which I pay fully to avoid incurring charges, I find myself having an aversion to loans like personal loans or VA Home Loans. When I was working at the bank, I always receive calls from various banks and companies asking me if I want to avail of loans, which I believe have scary interest rates, so I always decline. Until now, when I have already resigned, I still get text messages of loan offerings, which I of course, ignore. 

I would wonder, at times, what if the day comes when I would have nothing at all? Wouldn't I be forced to borrow cash from anyone, just so I could feed my children? Would anyone even lend money to me? I shudder at the thought. By then, I would have to need something like FHA Streamline Refinance, I suppose, if it's applicable.

It really is sad to think that the world thrives on having money. But, as always, God promises that He will never leave us, He won't forsake us. And I have this promise to hold on to, even if I may have nothing.




Blog Widget by LinkWithin